Saturday, November 5, 2011

Olive Oil: Not Just for Pasta

Well, it is that time of year again--cool air, foliage, frost, and dry, dry, dry. My humidifier is going full blast twenty four-seven and my skin is as dry as can be. So, I use my grapeseed oil, specially scented by Aroma Sanctum here in Salem (she ships!), on my skin after every shower. But, my scalp is my big concern.

Your scalp is one of the most delicate parts of your body and needs to be treated kindly. I only shampoo my hair every three days, but I condition every day. On my shampoo days, I deep condition with My Honey Child's Olive You, an olive oil based deep conditioner. Olive oil is organic and one of the best oils for your hair; it will moisturize the scalp, remove impurities, promote growth, and strengthen the hair. It is also most cost effective than buying hair oil. So, on my wash days, I have taken to rubbing extra virgin olive oil into my scalp and letting it rest (with or without a shower cap) for about an hour. (If you try this, less is more and let it stay on the scalp for at least 30 minutes.) Then, I condition the hair with my daily conditioner, and (with the conditioner still there) I shampoo. This is called co-washing and is a good idea in the dry, chilly months. After a good rinse, I add more daily conditioner and my deep conditioner, pop on a shower cap, and hang out for an hour or so.

Sounds weird, right? Well, my hair has never been healthier. A little weird can go a long way, I suppose. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment