I will tell you something that you have most likely heard before: you do not need to shampoo every day! The only people who should shampoo daily are those with exceptionally oily hair; I, personally, have never met someone who fits this category. I shampoo my hair only every third day because it is wavy/curly. Those with very curly hair could easily go 5-7 days without shampoo. Straighter styles, every other day.
But! Just because we do not shampoo daily, it does not mean that we are dirty. Every one should condition daily, even those with oily hair. Get your hair good and wet and comb some conditioner through. It will keep tangles at bay and your hair fed. If you have oily roots, start at the mid-shaft with the conditioner.
The reason to not shampoo daily is that shampoo can strip your hair of its natural oils, fraying the cuticle and leaving frizz. By shampooing less, you traumatize your hair less and the oils can regenerate, especially with the aid of daily conditioning. Many chose to forgo shampoo all together but, if you use products, you really should cleanse occasionally.
When you shampoo, get your hair sopping wet, add a dollop of shampoo to your hands, and emulsify before applying it to your head. Also, take your fingers and wiggle them down your hair to spread out the suds. :-) And, of course, rinse thoroughly!!!
I want to note that I recommend higher end conditioners for daily work. Drug store brands, even those I love, can leave hair flat and dull without the shampoo addition. Brands to investigate for good conditioners are Wen, Bumble and Bumble, Aveda, and Deva. Those are the ones with whom I have been most successful. If you are unsure of a brand, get a travel size or barter for a sample and test it out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment