Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hair Shaping

I don't like to use the terms "hair cut" or "trim" for when I go to the salon. I go in for a shaping. Cut and trim are too negative and what you do at the salon is, more often than not, a positive.

I get my hair shaped every 8 weeks or so because it is long. If you have short hair and you want to keep it short, you will easily see your stylist every 4 to 6 weeks. Going to the salon is pivotal, even if you want to grow out your hair, because split ends are not good things. Split ends will happen due to the daily stress on hair and the only thing you can really do it to cut them off because the ends have, essentially, died.

I have a few tips for the salon:
1. Go to a stylist that you like, one that was recommended to you, or one you could see yourself befriending.
1a. Know when you need to break up with a stylist, too. Sadly, it happens...
2. Walk into the salon with an idea of what you would like. Pictures are ideal for this, as is communication.
3. Listen to any suggestions your stylist makes and be willing to compromise as needed. Your stylist sees your head and hair artistically and he/she can guide you to the right style.
4. Watch how your stylist finishes your hair and ask for product and maintenance tips.

Salon trips should be therapeutic, not stressful, so comfort is key. You will know what is the best fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment