Monday, March 15, 2010

Try Before You Buy (If You Can)

I am a very big supporter of "high end" foundations because they are on your whole face and on for the longest of your makeup and higher end foundations tend to be less "abrasive" or "irritating" to skin. If you are on a budget, I recommend Maybelline's Dream Mousse foundation and Neutrogena's foundations. (In the summer, when I am quasi-tan, I use Neutrogena's Sheer Cover powder brush.)

I recommend higher end foundations for another reason: you can take them for a solid test run. If you are looking for a new foundation, go to a makeup counter or boutique and get a makeover/consultation. Then, see how the foundation feels for the rest of the day. You cannot return open makeup to a department store and this is a quality way to make sure you are making the right choice. If you feel guilty about the makeover and want to buy something, invest in a good makeup brush or a fun eyeliner.

When it comes to department store brands, I recommend Clinique and Bare Minerals over any other. Clinique foundations look and feel like they are made for you and I have been using Bare Minerals for years. I swear by Bare Minerals and probably should have bought stock, but it is not for everyone. Alas...

Hint: If you have "problem" skin (i.e. blemishes, scars, blotchiness, etc.), you will probably want light liquid foundation. If you have sensitive skin or "non-problematic" skin, go more toward a powder foundation. Steer clear of dowsing your skin in foundation--it'll clog your pores and exacerbate any skin issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment