Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Cardinal Rule for Hair #1

Rule #1: Avoid heat styling!

This rule is probably the hardest for women, in particular, to follow. Many guffaw and buckle at the prospect of this. But, it is something to consider for your hair's health.

Hair dryers, straighteners, and curling irons all damage the hair follicle, which is made up of cells that look like fish scales. When healthy, the cells ("scales") lay flat; when damaged, we say hello to frizz. Moisture can seal the hair follicle but extreme heat, like the kind often found in styling tools, causes major damage over time and it becomes an issue of trying to fix it. Sorry, only way to do that is to unplug the dryer, curler, and straightener and condition, condition, condition.

I know that some of you are going, "But, my dryer is ionic and fights frizz." No, it doesn't. Frizz is caused by sucking moisture away as opposed to letting it evaporate naturally. Plus, if your hair isn't healthy to start, no amount of ions will help.

I am sorry for this harsh truth but your hair is healthier and happier when the electrics are put down.

Best of luck!


P.S. If you HAVE to straighten or curl your hair, please deep condition before, deep condition after, and use a spray on conditioner. I recommend Bumble and Bumble's Tonic.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to know that my lack of styling ability - using a blow dryer etc. - has benefits! I think your blog is great - and look forward to future posts which may help me in my never ending quest for styling ability!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feedback! I am so glad you find it helpful. Stay tuned for many more tips and tricks. :-D

    ReplyDelete